Next week I am going away to the east coast to visit a friend. At home I am leaving Hubby, Elly Belly and Monkey Boy. Elly Belly is nearly 6 and I have only had a few nights away from her - when I was in hospital when Monkey Boy was born - nearly 3 years ago, and 2 nights when he had to have an operation, and I have never had a night away from Monkey Boy.
I have very mixed feelings about being away from them. I am a little bit excited about going on a plane by myself and not having to take tonnes of hand luggage, of having an uninterrupted nights sleep, being able to go out somewhere and just grabbing my handbag and not having to pack snacks, water bottles, games, wipes, change of clothes etc, going to the toilet without being followed and generally just having a bit of time alone.
BUT.......
I am also really sad to think that I won't be there to read them a story and tuck them into bed at night, see their happy little faces during the day, talk to them and kiss and cuddle them (in fact I'm getting quite sad even just thinking about how much I will truly miss them).
So I'm wondering are you a mum? Have you ever been away from your kids? How did you cope with being away? Did it make you a better mum when you got back? Did you appreciate your kids more? How long until you started yelling at them again?
2 comments:
I'm going away from Tricky in a few weeks for the first time. I'm excited for the same reasons - traveling alone and being able to not pack the kitchen sink. No idea how I'll be...
Have fun, I'm sure you'll miss them and by one day back you'll be thinking it's time for another holiday.
I did it for work a few years ago, my two would have been about the same ages then as yours are now. And it was the same story as you about having never been away except to have Offspring #2. It was a 7 day trip, covering a couple of different cities and I totally freaked out in the planning stage but.... LOVED it when it happened, coped okay (they all coped great!) and yelled at them about an hour after I got home.
Post a Comment