Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dining out alone

Tonight I had a "leave pass" and went out with a friend. The plan was that she would pick me up on the way, we'd have a quick dinner and then go to the movies. But she was running late and could only meet me there about 25 minutes before the start of the movie so I suggested that I would go at the original time, buy the tickets and then go to the restaurant and order dinner so that it was hopefully arriving at the table just as she got there.

The plan was going well, but then she was even later getting there than she thought she would be. So that left me sitting at a table by myself in a busy restaurant with enough food on the table for two. What should I do? Start eating and make it look like "yes, I am here alone and I am going to eat all this food thank you very much", wait and look like "yes, I've been stood up, but I ordered all this food just in case", or maybe try and look busy on my phone?

So anyway, I did start eating and luckily she arrived in time to quickly scoff down some food and we made it the movies in time to see the start of the film, and even a couple of the trailers before - wow, had I known we had that much time I would have stopped for a choc top!

But it got me thinking about how comfortable I would be in deliberately "going out" alone. How about you? Do you "go out" by yourself? By choice or necessity? How comfortable with that are you? Are there limits to where you would choose to go by yourself, coffee OK, dinner not?

No comments: