Saturday, August 6, 2011

How does the internet know stuff?

I'm still a bit (OK - a lot) naive when it comes to the internet and how it knows stuff about you. About how everything you do seems to be somewhere being collected by Google, Facebook, Twitter etc so that they can bombard you with "appropriate" advertising (yes thanks, I would like to remove the creases around my eyes and to have a flat belly). How when you go visit a site it pops up to tell you which of your FB friends also like this site. How when you write a blog post all of a sudden you get lots of adds for things vaguely related to what your post was about. But this one really freaked me out....

Last night was lazy dinner night, i.e. get the kids to make it! I get the toppings ready, they make the pizzas. I noticed some slightly suspicious white dots on the cheese, not full blown hairy mould, but just a bit weird looking, so I cut them off and continued on my merry way. Once all the toppings were ready I took a few moments to check up on the latest happenings in the news and in BlogWorld, and how surprised was I to find this story pop up in the side bar of one of the ABC news pages..... If you cut mould off food, is it safe to eat?. Seriously, is Big Brother watching me in my kitchen now??????

Have you ever had any strangely coincidental adds pop up for you? What freaks you out about how much the internet knows about you?

2 comments:

Maxabella said...

Yikes, that's a bit much, huh? I don't like to think about what the internet knows about me... x

Sannah said...

That is REALLY freaky!! I'm always a bit surprised at how much the internet knows about me, but your experience seems to be taking it a bit far - spooky!